We can choose to help solve these problems. How?
- Inform yourself. Watch television programs about abuse. Read books and articles. Search for organizations on the internet. Talk to people. Attend support groups or public presentations about the topic.
- Donate time or money to not-for-profits working on the issue.
- Become a part of the healing process. Take classes to learn listening skills to support survivors. Why? Because it is difficult to listen to stories of pain and anger. We often react to our own feelings of discomfort or we want to give advice. Both reactions silence survivors. When we listen with compassion, we help survivors open up, trust and begin the healing process.
- Help raise awareness about the issue. Join a Take Back the Night rally or a Walk Across Oregon to End Abuse and Heal the Wounds, but please be diplomatic with people with whom you disagree to open up their hearts.
- Report abuse when you know about it. Silence perpetuates abuse.
We have to do it.